Monday, June 8, 2009

Great Spangled Fritillary


My husband and I spent this past weekend camping near Jellico in an area called Stinking Creek. I've walked the banks of this creek several times now, and it there is no odor. I like the name anyway.
I've enjoyed walking around the property taking pictures of wildflowers that I do not know the names of, when a butterfly flew right in front of me and landed on this flower. I figured I might as well take a picture of something else I didn't know the name of. Eventually I will look up the names of all these plants and animals, but for now it's pictures only.






4 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful butterfly. You sound like me just waiting for something fly right down in front of me. I think I have tunnel vision. Glad you had a good time camping.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great photo, Connie, of the butterfly. Sounds like you all had a great camping weekend...
Hugs,
Betsy

Ginnymo said...

What a beautiful Butterfly!!

Leedra said...

The butterfly is a Great Spangled Fritillary, I think. Can't see the underside too well in this photo. That would be a starting place. It also appears to be on a thistle bloom, which are in bloom everywhere in East Tennessee lately.